Did you read my post, “How to Behave when you are a Guest?” If you haven’t read it yet, I would recommend you to read it and this would help you be a better guest in someone else’s house. However, apart from being a guest, you would also be a host most of the time. But do you think you are a good host? Here are some tips that can help you be a good host to your guests:
- If you are inviting guests to your home, make sure you are prepared for it. Of course, food and sanitation are the prime requirements but you need to make sure you prepare for their overnight stay and also if they plan to stay for a few days.
- Greeting guests with a smile is a norm. And when they arrive, the very first thing to do is call them inside and make them comfortable. Many people start talking to their guests by making them stand outside, which is not what the guests really like.
- Never brag about your home or your fancy home products with their price tag in front of their guests. If they ask you about anything, answer it in simple words without elaborating and without the price of the products, unless they specifically ask the price.
- In no condition, directly or indirectly, ask the guests about their leaving time or date. This is a very bad feeling for them. Rather insist on their stay for a few days. Most people are too busy to stay, but this is a nice gesture that passes you as a good host.
- If there are small kids with the guests, you can expect your home to turn upside down, especially when there are kids of the same age in your home too. However, never frown on the guest kids and never complain about them to their parents or guardians. The guests do feel bad about it.
These are some important things to follow when you are about to be a host for some guests. Remember, treating good guests well is a rule of thumb, even if they are clumsy in nature or break your China by mistake.